Impossible Objects – Boxes

For this assignment, we are required to work to produce an “Impossible Object” that could only be practically manufactured using 3D printing. I created five of my objects using FDM and SLA 3D printing. 

Steps: 

The first step was finding a STL file for impossible objects using the Thingiverse website.

Measure the gumball using a Ruler and caliper for inside and outside 

Downloaded the STL file on the computer

Used 3DPrinterOS. The steps for using 3DPrinterOS are 

• Click my files, add files, and upload the .STL file 
  • Select Printer – original Prusa i3 MK3

• To modify the size and shape of the file, I clicked Layout
  • adjust the scale to 30 mm by using the options scale option
  • Then click the Move tab and select on Bed. Hit Slice after that
  • A new .gcode will appear to print the file. A list of the printer will show to choose one of them and print

Achievements and problems:

FDM

• The first problem was the support. I started with the skirt adhesion type, and the final look was not good, so I changed the adhesion type to “Raft,” which was better than the first one but still did not look good from the bottom. Asking the TA and lab assistant, and they told me I could avoid this problem by using “PrusaSlicer,” where I could edit support on my object. After adjusting support using PrusaSlicer and checking the animation, I printed four boxes, and the final result was satisfactory. Overall, the achievements for FDM were Impossible Boxes which look good and are easy to move.

PrusaSlicer

SLA

• The first and second tries failed because the supports were too much and hard to remove the supports.

I edited the file with fewer supports using “PreForm” Fig.

1. Downloaded the file
  2. Supports- edit
    1. selected specific places for support and reduced all unnecessary supports
  3. scale my object
  4. Print- washed- cured

After more than four hours, I returned to check, but unfortunately, something went wrong, and it did not print propriety. I decided to re-printer for the fourth time because the problem was not the file or the support, but I had the same problem: the bed was not clean. I thought I checked it before start printing it, but there are some parts I did not see it. I stooped the printer after 3 hours, cleaned the bed and checked everything, and started the printer again for the fifth time.

I was unsure why the printer failed, so I asked Danny to check if I did the steps correctly. Even after Danny checked with me, it failed. I let Fernando know because, at this point, I think the problem is with the printer.

Final Results:

Cost:

The total cost is $61.92

1. Machine time:  27 hours – cost $1 per hour = $27
    1. FDM : 7 hours and total cost $ 0.23 each = 0.23 *4 = $0.92
    2. SLA: 20 hours and around $0.8 *5 = $4
  2. Labor: around 2:30 hours and each hour is $12= 30