Glow in the Dark Fingers

This week’s project is to cast our fingers. We did the project in class with alginate to make the mold. After pouring the plaster in and leaving it overnight, I checked the finger and noticed that the nails part of the finger broke.

The nails broke off of the first fingers.

This is likely because I had quite long nails when we were molding/casting that class. So I went and cut my nails and redid the cast. This time, Tony brought glow-in-the-dark powder to add to the plaster. I decided to make two different colors for the two different fingers, and since it’s now spring I picked pink and green.

The casted fingers. The glow-in-the-dark effect is there but not very obvious. But it does show after putting it in the sun for a while then moving it to a dark room (a user would nail it by the window so it absorbs the light in the morning and glows at night).

The final fingers looked fine, although the nail was slightly tilted in the process of casting. I then lightly sanded the finger to preserve the details on the fingers and turned it in.

Cost Estimation

Alginate powder ~ $6

Plaster powder ~ $6

Glow-in-the-Dark Powder ~ $2 (according to Tony)

Screws ~ negligible

Labor:

2 h * $10 / h = $20

Sum: $34