First Time Sewing My Own Clothes

After our TAs Rachel and Rafe explained the basics of sewing, we took turns trying to set up the sewing machine and sew lines on paper. And here are 5 things I learned from setting it up for the first time, and a reminder to myself for when I use it next time:

1. There are 2 visual instructions for using the thread guide. Be careful which one you want to follow.

2. You want to use the hand wheel and make the hook come up when you set up the thread so it’s easier to hook the thread around.

3. There is a small hook behind the needle that you want to hook the thread around.

4. You want to attach the bobbin so that the thread is going clockwise.

5. Terminologies of the sewing machine

My Apron:

1. Planning

I began the process by creating a visual inspiration board for what I wanted to make. Although I am a beginner, since I had more time during the weekend and I wanted to make a cute apron that would motivate me for the rest of the semester, I decided to design my own apron with a skirt. I found an online tutorial video that can help me with sewing the skirt.

I also took a measurement of my waist (26″).

2. Skirt

I cut a 44″x20″ rectangle using the rotary cutter and a ruler for straight edges. I hemmed a double-folded 1/4″ seam on all edges except for the bottom for a cleaner look. For the bottom, I added a 1 1/2″ seam on the bottom for the skirt look. I first struggled with creating clean ends of the sewed lines. I realized I was doing the back stitches longer than necessary, causing ugly overlapping threads. So I tried to be careful with the other seams. Also, for more precision for the seam lengths, I would use the iron to press down the fabric next time.

I learned that to create a ruffled skirt look, you could do a process called “gathering”. I sewed 2 lines across the top of the skirt 1/8″ from the edge. I did this with the maximum length (4mm) and left a long thread at the end to be able to pull the threads/gather the fabric easily. I found the gathering process enjoyable as I started seeing the ruffled look on my skirt.

3. Waistband

To hide the threads used for gathering, I added a waistband in dark blue. I sewed the waistband onto the backside of the skirt so that I can have a nice 1/8″ seam on the bottom of the waistband when I fold it upwards. I also sewed the left and right sides of the waistband with a 1/8″ seam. I switched to black threads when sewing the waistband for a cleaner look.

I then added a string to the edges of the waistband using box stitches to be able to tie the apron in the back.

4. Top

I used my waist measurement from earlier (26″ * 1/2 = 13″) and my desired height of the top (9″) as well as the length of the top edge (7″) to create my top. At this point, I started getting used to sewing straight lines so I found this process go much smoother than when I sewed my skirt. I then attached the top to the waistband, making sure the top aligns in the center by folding both the top and the skirt in half and finding the center point, and I attached the neck strap using box stitches. I tested out my apron’s fit a couple times, and if I do this process again in the future, I would add a plastic slip lock to create an adjustable neck strap. Because even though the current design was easy to wear, it was a bit difficult to take it off without touching my ears.

5. Pockets

I also decided to add two rectangular pockets on the skirt for convenience purposes and used my phone as a standard for the size of each pocket (6″ x 3″) with a double 1/8″ seam. I cut out the pockets first and sewed the top edge first since that is the only edge that won’t be sewn onto the skirt. I then sewed the other three edges onto the skirt one by one. This process was a little bit challenging for me since the skirt was already ruffled, and I could not easily figure out where exactly to put my pockets where the two would look balanced. For this project, I stood in front of the mirror and adjusted the two pockets using the pins a couple times until the two pockets looked balanced and are at where I wanted them to be.

6. Done!

I finally cut the unwanted threads, and I was done with my new work apron that has a skirt with two pockets that fit my phone!

Reflection

Things I would like to improve upon in the future:

• Straighten my seams
  • Use iron for more precise seams
  • Plan ahead (pocket positions)
  • Choose the thread colors for aesthetics
  • Consider comfortability by eg. adding adjustability

Overall, I was able to practice setting up the sewing machine, learn to sew clean seams (front stitch + back stitch at the ends), piece fabrics together, and learn fun sewing skills such as gathering.

Cost Estimate

Materials: 1 yard fabric (~$10 according to Amazon) + cotton webbing (~$1 for the amount I used) + threads (~$0.1 for the amount I used)

Labor: 7 hours x $12/hour = $84

For this project, I spent a lot of time fixing the sewing machine and being unsure of what to do.

Total: $95.10