Nathan’s Final Project Ideas

1. Water drop sculpture

This first mechanized sculpture is meant to simulate the motion of a single water droplet by using a series of cams attached to a crank. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqzjAmPFND8

2. Mechanical Clock

This project would involve a lot of time making gears, probably by using the CNC machine. A lot of the work will be in designing the clock as well, so this project would be very time intensive.

3. Rubik’s Cube

It’s a Rubik’s Cube. I’d probably want to CNC it out of metal so it looks really nice. I mostly want to make this so I can give it to the parents of one of my friends who loved solving rubik’s cubes who died last summer.

4. Gear Sculpture

This design is based off of this image: http://www.deviantart.com/art/Gears-Cogs-Tattoo-Design-75289483. The small bottom gear would have a constant force spring that could be wound up and released, causing all of the other gears to turn for a period of time. Backing plate would be plasma cut or CNC’d, gears would probably be plasma cut.

5. Mechanized hand

This is another sculpture idea of mine where a model of an open hand would rest on a base. When a heavy object is placed in the hand, it would cause the hand to sink down and close the fingers around the object.

6. Nameplate

More gears! Here I would paint my initials (or first name) onto some meshing gears so that when one gear is turned my initials disappear. This would be due to the various gear ratios present, so it would take many turns to get the gears back to their original positions (which spell out the name).

7. Chess set

It’s a chess set. Pretty straight forward.

8. Gear sculpture pt. 2

For this sculpture I would research and design many different types of gear mechanisms. Everything would be powered by rotating the large outer gear.

9. Hobby electronics box

I like messing around with electronics and building simple circuits, but I need a box to hold all of my components. I’d probably spend more time decorating this one than actually making the structural parts.

10. Do-nothing box

I’ve been wanting to make one of these for forever. When you flip the switch on the outside, a mechanized finger pops out and turns the switch back off. The circuitry is super simple, so the main challenge would be designing the box and machining it.

11. Reverse Skinner Box

This one is actually part of a conceptual project I worked on for my FWIS class (Intersections of Art and Science). I made a basic render in SolidWorks (shown below) when I was working on it, but to actually build it the design would have to be updated a ton. Basically the whole thing would be ran by a microcontroller that would cause the mechanized finger to behave as a living animal would behave inside a Skinner Box.