CADtastic!

For this assignment we were tasked with producing a 3D replica of our Mid-term project using a 3D CADding software. This seemed simple enough, especially after learning that there was a way to import our 2D drawings from Adobe Illustrator into IronCAD. However, as Mikaela eloquently explained, there were a few unforeseen issues; particularly that IronCAD didn’t want to extrude our cross-sections. After many attempts on both IronCAD and AI to try and fix the solution, I decided to adjust my approach. Just as before, I’d import my 2D Illustrator file as a sketch, but instead of trying to extrude straight from this sketch, I set the grid to the appropriate scale, then used IronCAD’s 2D drawing features to create a new outline of each part; I would then delete the imported part. In this manner I was able to create and extrude each part of the Oil Pump-Jack separately. After extruding a piece to the correct width, I would save this piece as a part. After I had each necessary piece saved as an individual part, I was able to open each part and combine them into one final assembly. The end result was a nice replica of the Pump-Jack. I used the plywood texture for the actual pump, and the green marble texture for the base, as it most closely represented the ‘grassy surface’ onto which the Oil Pump-Jack was attached. After using so many of the 2D drawing features to copy my parts, and then using the TriBall extensively to get all of the parts in place, I now feel much more comfortable using IronCAD.