Building A Swim Support Device for Liam

The goal of this project was to design a device that Liam, a 16 year old young man with severe ataxia that hinders his ability to walk, could use as a swim support.

The first step I took, before brainstorming, was to identify the constraints and requirements of the project:

IMG_20160201_0001

While brainstorming, I came up with several different solutions that provide different means of support for Liam:

Upper Neck Life Jacket

Version #1

version1-neck

The upper neck life jacket would ensure that Liam’s head and neck would stay above water and that only his arms and downwards would be submerged in the pool. In the first version of the device, I designed it to work similarly to a throw ring. The floatation ring would serve as a base for the device and would be placed around Liam’s lower neck. An additional ring would be placed around his upper neck and there would supports in the middle to prevent his gastrostomy and tracheostomy tubes from colliding with the rings as well as a cover that would ensure they do not get wet. The head rest allows him to rest his head and neck support prevents his head from bobbing forward when he becomes tired.

Version #2

version2-neck

The second idea for the upper neck life jacket I came up with was a revised life jacket with a floatation ring that can be opened with Velcro, or a similar material, to allow it be taken off and on. It would include arm support and a life jacket to keep his upper body afloat. However, this would prevent his arms and part of his trunk from being submerged so I brainstormed further.

Version #3

version3-neck

The final ideal I had for the device is a combination of version 1 and 2. It incorporates neck support and a head rest. It would also work similarly to a life jacket and would be made out of the same material. In the inside of the device, an open area is included to allow room for Liam’s tubes. There are spaces on the side of the device to allow room for his shoulders.

I decided to model this version of the upper neck jacket:

The red clay represents the device and the yellow pompon represents Liam’s head. Spaces are cut on the sides to represent the room left for the shoulders, there is a space under the pompon to represent the area where left for Liam’s tubes so that they do not collide with the sides of the device, and it is raised in the back and front to represent the neck and head rest.

Submersible Walker

subwalk

The submersible walker works similarly to the walker that Liam uses.  A floatation ring would be included to support Liam’s neck there is an area for Liam to sit so that he does not get tired, and the wheels can be collapsed. The wheels would allow it to be easily maneuvered to the pool but I decided to not use this idea because the walker would be very heavy and it would be difficult to distribute its weight in a way that would allow only his neck and head to stay above water.

Water Lift

waterlife

The water lift would be attached to the side of the pool. The chair could be lowered into the water using a remote and it includes a gate that can be opened and closed. However, this does not allow him to maneuver around the entire pool, only the area where the water life is located, and it does not ensure that his head and neck would stay above water so I decided to not use this idea.

Swim Chair

Version #1

swimchair-1

The first version of the swim chair incorporated a head and neck rest which gave it an appearance similar to a chair that were made of buoyant material, support for Liam’s arms, and torso support. The device would be lowered onto his head and fastened at the torso.  I brainstormed further to try to find a way to allow his arms to be submerged as well.

Version #2

swimchair2

The version #2 is a slight change from the first. I added a brace for Liam’s back and removed the arm supports to allow his arms to be submerged into the water.

Version #3

swimchair-3

I completely revised the concept for the 3rd version of the swim chair. The goal was to give it a more chair like appearance so that he is able to rest, to incorporate the head and neck rest of the previous versions, and the arm rest of the 1st version of the swim chair. Under the arm supports is buoyant material to keep them afloat and the head rest is lined with buoyant material to keep his head and neck above water.

I decided to model this version of the swim chair:

The green pipe cleaners and mesh represent the base of the chair, the dotted red square represents the head rest,  the dotted red material with the white pipe cleaners in it represent the arm supports, and the yellow material represent the buoyant material that keep the sides afloat. A seat belt is included, represented by a green pipe cleaner on the lower part of the chair, to prevent Liam from falling out of the chair.

Raft Chair

raftchair

The raft chair would work similarly to a raft in that the floatation logs, which work similarly to pool noodles, on the front and back of the device would keep it afloat. Neck support, a head rest, and an area for Liam to sit are included.

I decided to model the raft chair:

The pipe cleaners represent the frame of the device: straws with a yellow stripe are used to represent the floatation logs and straws with black or red on them represent the sides of the frame. The dotted red O in the middle represents the neck support, the blue dotted material represents the neck support, and the lower, red circle represents the seat. Straws are used to show the support between the seat and neck support.

Floatation Rest

floatrest

The floatation rest works similarly to a pool chair except the lower part of the chair would be submerged. There is a frame around the base chair that has segments of buoyant mater to check the upper part of the part, where Liam’s head and neck will be, above water. Arm supports are included and there are hand grips on the sides to let helpers help steer the device. A head rest and neck support is included.

I decided to model the floatation rest:

mod2

The base chair was made with mesh material and a red pipe cleaner, the yellow material with red pipe cleaners represent the hand grips on the sides, the green and red pipe cleaners on the upper part of the chair represent the neck support, the lower green pipe cleaners represent the frame around the chair, the beads represent the buoyant material that kept it afloat, the green square is the head rest, and the red pipe cleaner with white bands represents the arm supports.

Hammock Boat

hamboat

The hammock boat would allow Liam to either sit or recline in the water. He would sit in the middle where he would rest on a mesh like material, similar to a hammock. Arm support is lowered so he is able to put them underwater, there are bars on the sides so that helps can help him maneuver the device, and a head and back support is included.

I decided to model the hammock boat:

The frame of the hammock boat is represented by white pipe cleaners, the green pipe cleaners are the arm supports, the white foam material represents the head and back rest, the mesh represents the hammock that Liam can rest upon, and the angle of the ends of the white pipe cleaners represent the bar that helpers can use to maneuver the device.

Thank you for reading,

Danielle