Jacob’s Reasons for Taking ENGI 210

a.) My name is Jacob Song.  I am a Junior Mechanical Engineering major with a certificate in Engineering Leadership.  Around campus, I am involved with Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship as a small group leader.  Outside of class and homework, I enjoy working out and playing baseball.

b.) One thing that I have made that I am proud of is an Excel model that automates decisions to inspect parts or not.  This model takes past part data and uses a framework to decide if the part is good enough to bypass inspections.  It took a lot of learning on the job, as I had not had much prior experience with Excel.

c.) I would like to build a functioning system with moving parts out of laser-cut wood.  I am interested to see what kind of tolerances the pieces can be made with.

d.) I hope to learn how to prototype any idea that comes to mind in a time-efficient and economical way.  In design positions, it will be beneficial/necessary to be able to make a proof-of-concept.  Specifically, I want to learn about using 3D printers and their constraints, as additive manufacturing is an up and coming trend.  Essentially, I want to learn prototyping skills that would prepare me for a career in industry.