01: Building a Box

In this project, I was tasked to build a wooden box using the concepts we learned in class – building fast prototypes and using a cordless drill. I started my project by drafting some conceptual sketches in my project journal.

The two shapes that I gravitated toward was a wooden trash can and a rectangle with compartments, which could be used to organize a drawer. After brainstorming techniques that I could use, I decided to wait until I selected my wood material to finalize my choice.

With the help of a OEDK lab tech, I was able to find two free (1 x 10 and 1 x 8) planks of wood to use for my box. I really enjoyed the salvaged, cracked, texture of the larger piece; because of this, I decided the trash can would showcase this best and started planning my design.

I utilized the fast prototyping technique we learned in class to build a model of the trapezoid shape I wanted. This was an excellent way for me to see some initial challenges and figure out what pieces I needed to cut out. However, I knew that the cardboard was too thin, and that I would need to account for the wood thickness in my final measurements.

I decided to create a trapezoid with a 7” square base and 9” square opening at the top and sketch out the pieces and measurements I would need to cut; . After measuring and cutting my wood with a jigsaw (and rounding the outer edges with a router), I started holding the pieces together and figured out what edges I needed to angle off to sit flush.

In addition, with the slight warping of the lumber I couldn’t align all the edges easily. To fix this problem, I used two clamps to hold the wood together while I drilled in my fasteners.

Once the screws were in place, the box held together well – up until one of the side cracked in half from the pressure ☹ In order to fix this plank, I applied a generous amount of wood glue along the crack and the joining edge and re-clamped the pieces together. After a day of drying, I was satisfied with the result and finished off by sanding the edges and adding the base!

I knew creating a trapezoidal box would be more difficult shape for this project, but I wanted to challenge myself and improve my woodworking skills with a fun design. This was a great opportunity to try out new techniques and create something I would be happy to use in my apartment later.

Tools I used?

• Jig saw
  • Edge belt sander
  • 12V cordless drill
  • Router w/ a rounding bit
  • Adjustable Clamps
  • 1½ inch Screws
  • Wood glue

What was the final cost?

Because I got the wood for free, I didn’t have any receipts to calculate my true cost for materials. A similar piece of maple lumber would cost about $84/3 = $28. I spent about 3.5 hours using the woodshop tools on the weekend. Availability at a similar woodshop such as TXRX would be $50/month, or a purchased combo tool set at about $230 (not including additional clamps, glue, or sandpaper).

Potential Improvements?

1. The edges are entirely smooth, partly because of the woods grain, and also from cutting with a jigsaw. Given more time, I would have sanded these pieces out more, but I also enjoyed the weathered style that the rough edges gave the final piece.
  2. I had a lot of trouble counter-sinking the screws without chipping out chunks of wood with the larger drill bits. I also wish the screws were counter-sunk at a consistent level.
  3. I used a bit too much wood glue and didn’t scrap it off – leaving some unwanted residue.
  4. I wasn’t able to make the base sit flush from the interior; this was partly due to time constraints and irregularity of the shape of the box; while I calculated a 5.5” square to fit