Laser Focused: Adventures in Box Making

Measuring the Kerf

For this assignment, I had the opportunity to review projects from my peers who had experience with laser cutting. This helped me gain a deep understanding of the process, particularly in terms of how kerf and part fit are inversely related. I decided to adopt the kerf values my peers had previously used, which were approximately 0.005″. To confirm this value, I laser-printed three rectangles each measuring 1 inch in width. I then calculated their overall width and found the difference between that and the expected total width of 3″. I divided the result by 6, yielding a kerf of approximately 0.046″. Given this, I chose to proceed with a kerf value of 0.005″. I noticed that the Makercase program automatically adjusts for kerf, which explains the inverse relationship between fit and kerf within the software.

Note: I later discovered that the kerf value can change significantly depending on the nozzle’s distance to the surface. The auto-focus feature can be inconsistent, so I recommend using manual focus for more reliable results.

Preparing the 2D Schematics

I measured the material thickness, which was approximately 0.23 inches (n=3). Using these custom values, I created 2D schematics for a 4-inch cube box with finger joints (finger size: 0.79″) through the Makercase website. I set the cut line width at 0.1 and kerf compensation at 0.05.

Designing with Adobe Illustrator

I initiated my design by setting the vector cut lines to 0.001. Wanting my box to serve a practical purpose post-project, I designed it as a tabletop pencil case. I added a circular vector to the top and incorporated the Rice University logo on the front, along with my name on the back. My name was embellished with basic geometric shapes, designed in Illustrator. For added flair, I downloaded a basic SVG pattern from the Noun Project. to create fenestrated sides. I set the stroke for this pattern to 0.001″ and modified some elements for optimal laser cutting. Lastly, to achieve a multi-layered engraving, I altered the colors in the Rice logo and my name. This enabled the Epilog Fusion Pro interface to recognize different layers.

Cutting the Box

I utilized the Epilog Fusion Pro laser cutter and was highly satisfied with its performance. However, I did encounter an issue with its inconsistent auto-focus feature, which occasionally affected cut accuracy. Additionally, the manual focus spring was already damaged, which compromised the overall cut and engraving quality. To mitigate issues, I printed each piece individually, allowing for quick troubleshooting.

Post-Processing

I finished the box by applying two coats of Danish oil, opting for a dark stain to conceal minor imperfections from the laser cutting process.

Adding the vinyl decoration

I used a vinyl cutter to print the “Go Owls” slogan and placed it adjacent to the Rice University logo.

What I liked

I was pleased with the final appearance of the box, finding the kerf value optimal and the overall structural integrity satisfactory.

Room for improvement

I wasn’t entirely satisfied with the placement of the Rice logo, which is situated to the left on the front panel. Additionally, the vinyl elements didn’t meet my expectations. I’m considering replacing the front panel to better align with my aesthetic preferences.

Cost Type Price Source Quantity Total
Materials 1/4″ Plywood 29 (32 sq ft) Homedepot 900 sq in 5,66
Danish Oil Stain 51.56 (1 lt) Walmart 50 ml 2,86
Labor Machine Operator (Laser Cutting) 19,92 / h Indeed 2,5 h 39,84
Prototyping Eng. 53,93 / h Zippa 1 h 53,9
Overhead Laser Cutter 30 for 1/4 h Light Object  2 h 240
Design Vinly Paper 65.28 (720″) BHP 5″ 0,5
Total 419,45