Metal Cutting a Diamond

For this assignment I cut a patterned diamond out of metal using a water cutter. The diamond was about 5 inches long and 3 inches wide, and I used a .07 inch thick sheet of aluminum as the material.

My design was based on this logo.

This is the file I used for the pattern: WaterCutting.ai

I was initially concerned about the space between the cuts being too little, so I checked what some of the other students had made and found that my design was fine. I also think all the cuts being straight lines helped the machine cut it out easily, as I ran into no problems during this step. Here are the two diamonds I cut out.

For post-processing, I decided to start with sandblasting. This got rid of the majority of the rough edges. I then got a file to fully smooth-out the edges, as well as round off the corners. I then spray-painted it white, along with a clear-coat half an hour later. 4 hours later, I did the other side. Lastly, I tried to clean it up with some high-grit sandpaper. While I did get rid of the strings of dried paint, I was unable to clean up the spottiness on one of the sides. I also accidentally sanded a bit too much and the metal is somewhat visible on one side.

Sandblasted and Filed

Fully Post-Processed

Cost Analysis:

Materials

Aluminum Sheet: $5 a sheet – used 1/16th a sheet – $0.31

Spray Paint: $6 a can – used .5 of 12 oz? – $0.25

Clear Gloss: $7 a can – used .5 of 12 oz? – $0.29

Machine Time

Water Cutter: $20 per hour? – 15 minutes – $5

Sandblaster: $15 per hour? – 5 minutes –  $1.25

Personal Labor: $18/hr – 1 hour water cutter, 1 hour post-processing – $36

Total: $43.1