Journey in Mold-Making and Casting

This week, my journey in the world of molding and casting led me to the creation of two unique finger hooks. The process, seemingly straightforward, presented a few challenges along the way.

Step 1: Mold Creation

The adventure began with making a mold. The ingredients? Alginate, water, and my own finger. A perfect balance was essential: a 1:1 ratio of alginate to water. My initial trial was a bit overzealous in mixing, resulting in the mixture solidifying too early. But on the second try, I nailed it. Timing was key – the mixture had to be just right: consistent yet fluid. Into the container it went, followed swiftly by my finger. A brief wait of 10 minutes, and voilà – the mold was formed.

Step 2: The Casting Challenge

Next up was the casting phase, requiring a 2:1 mix of plaster and water. This stage tested my patience. Getting the timing right for pouring the casting mixture was crucial. My initial efforts were good enough however I realized after casting some bubbles occurred in my shape. Maybe incubating them in a vacuum oven would be an ideal condition but I wasn’t able to find one in the OEDK.

Step 3: Refining the Creation

Post-casting, I noticed some imperfections. Air bubbles had left their mark, creating excess plaster on the finger hooks. A bit of sanding smoothed these out, seamlessly blending them into the overall shape.

To give my finger hooks a marble like look, I chose to use white spray paint, finishing them with a clear protective coating. The result? Two beautifully crafted, durable finger hooks.

This journey in molding and casting, while filled with trials and errors, was a rewarding learning experience in patience and precision.

Room for improvement

I wish I had a matte white spray paint and glossy clear coat to give more of a marble look. I didin’t like the bubbles that formed after casting. When I left them outside to dry they got black stains from the environment unfortunately.

Cost Analysis
Cost Type Price Source Quantity Total
Materials Alginate 54,97 (3 lb) Amazon 1 Ounce 1,15
Plaster 9,99 (1lb) Amazon 1 Ounce 0,62
Plastic Measuring Cup 0,90 (1 pc) Gmtmidwest 1 Piece 0,90
White Spray Paint 5,98 (12 Oz) Walmart 1 Oz 0,98
Clear Coat 6,98 (12 Oz) Walmart 1 Oz 0,58
Labor Prototyping Eng. 53.93 / h Zippia 1 h 53,93
58,16