Build a craft

I’ll share my experience crafting a practical and aesthetically pleasing storage box. This hands-on project has taken me through the joys of woodworking, from assembling the frame to adding the final touches.

First, in the woodshop, I cut the following pieces:

9 x 14.5” long pieces of 1×4 lumber
6 x 12” long pieces of 1×4 lumber
4 x 10-11” long pieces of 2×2 lumber

Then, I began assembling the four sides of our box using the corner clamping method. Pairing two pieces of 1×4 lumber for each side, I meticulously secured them with a corner clamp. After making pilot holes and driving in screws, I ensured a sturdy joint, setting the foundation for my storage box.

Then, I carefully route individual features before assembling the entire crate, ensuring a consistent finish. Placing one of my routed frames on the table, I inserted three bottom planks, securing them with wood screws. The table clamp ensured stability while I counter-sunk the screws for a seamless finish.

Next I put the addition of four vertical supports in the corners. Attaching 2×2 pieces with wood screws and using extra 1×4 lumber as spacers, I created a stable foundation for the remaining frames. After sanding my box with different grits of sanding paper, I finished my work.

Cost:

17ft long of 1×4 lumber: $0.635/ft * 17ft = $10.8
3.5ft long of 2×2 lumber: $0.648/ft * 3.5ft = $2.3

Labor cost: 6hr * $12/hr = $72

Total cost: $85.1