Build a Crate: Distorted Box

DISTORTED BOX

Sarah and Gloria

It started off as an standard crate. We followed instructions to build the frames, and after hours of working, I wanted to push ourselves a little bit further into making something more unique for our box.

Our first design was a T shape with different levels. In my mind, I wanted to make our crate functional for displaying different things more than carrying stuff. Originally, I saw its potential as a plant older. However, stability and size were some constraints we needed to address during our design and fabrication process.

This design did not make it past approval, since it was wider than it was supposed to be, and we discarded the T shape and just decided to make a horizontal crate with different levels, just like a distorted crate.

These are some pictures of how our brainstorming session was after adding that new constraint to our design and finishing the bottom part of our frames…

Then, we sanded our parts with a router, which did NOT take 10 minutes…

And after we were covered in wood dust, we assembled our crate.

We encountered some fabrication errors and tried to troubleshoot them over the course of several hours. For instance, the top frame was crooked as you can see in the picture below. This incident was due to over-sanding the 4 inner supports of the crate, and therefore the frames being now too big for them to be correctly attached.

We came in the next day and worked together to make them fit with the help of clamps. Made new pilot holes, used the same wood screws and added some more, and after many tries, it worked! It was no longer crooked.

Later, we added a few coats of white wash wood staining…

And our final product came to life!

Approximate Costs