Laser Cutted Structures

For this laser-cutting project, I explored different structures I could create from the plywood. I opened the website of the prototyping library and found two interesting structures: the 1.5 D hinge and the Twist Key Joint. I downloaded the Illustrator file and made some modifications.

After confirming the sketches of my project, I did a quick test run on the scrap wood and decided the following parameter would be the best for my project:

Vector Cutting:

Speed: 15

Power: 100

Frequency: 10

Engraving:

Resolution: 1000

Speed: 50

Power: 40

Then, I cut these pieces out using the decided parameter.

The outcome of the laser cutting is satisfying. The engraving text and patterns are visible and clear. The function of the parts is proven to be working as expected. To be honest, not after I cut the pieces out, I could not believe that I could use a one-piece wood to make a flexible hinge structure.

To estimate the cost of the labor, I will consider myself to be paid $15/hr, and I spend about 2 hours on this project. The cost of the plywood will be estimated at $5 (the price of the plywood stock in the OEDK). In total, this is about $35 of the cost of making these two wood structures.