Franken-Fingers

This homework assignment was pretty straightforward and didn’t present any issues. During class we made the mold using alginate and water with a 1:1 ratio so we used the same amount for both to get the texture and consistency needed. Once I mixed both the alginate and plaster for a couple minutes I put my fingers in the mixture and let it rest for a couple of minutes. Once the mixture solidified around my fingers and became almost rubber-like I wiggled my two fingers out and was left with the mold. The cup below is what I used to create the mold of my fingers and held it in there for a couple of minutes.

Figure 1: Molding Cup

After I created a mold with my fingers I poured the plaster into the mold and left it there overnight, so it could solidify completely. I made sure to hang a popsicle stick over it and place a nail in the plaster upside down, so I could use the nails to hold the casting of my fingers. The process of taking out the casting was a little tricky I had to squeeze the sides of the cup and wiggle the fingers out slowly to prevent them from breaking inside of the mold. Once I got everything out of the mold I decided on green, because I was wearing green sneakers the day I spray painted it. I put two coats of green spray paint on and let it dry and came back days later to apply a layer of clear coat.

Cost:

1. Materials: Free provided by OEDK
  2. Labor: $60 (4 hours @ $15/hour)

Total: $60