Laser Cutting a Box

Three tries and my box still isn’t proper. At the time of writing, the website makeabox.io (the only box site with kerf adjustment) will not export any files. (404 error)

I was under the impression that the hardest part about making a laser cut box would be the laser cutting, my impression was wrong. The hardest part about making a laser cut box are dimensions, even if you use a generator.

All attempts cut with 4 speed, 100 power, and 10 frequency.

Attempt #1

I thought this attempt was okay, but then I read the rubric. Kerf was not adjusted for and I had the incorrect materiel thickness. Staining was a touch I didn’t know I’d get docked for but sometimes I get carried away with exposing the grain.

Attempt #2

This attempt was a longer box with the correct materiel thickness but an improper kerf. It sort of fit together but didn’t stay. If the kerf was right on this, it would be unnecessary to make a third box.

Attempt #3 

makeabox-7.00W-5.00H-7.00D-0.25T-20191015022509

In this attempt, I tried to dial in the kerf @0.008, but it still wouldn’t fit snugly. I also set the incorrect materiel thicknes @0.025 inches instead of 0.02. It was a dumb mistake, about as dumb as putting spring instead of fall. Nothing fits snugly.

Going forward, I’m going to double check all my measurements and assumptions. I thought things werent the way they were. I should have made test cuts for kerf fit instead of printing entire boxes. I should have checked my season of the year. I should have checked the material thickness. I shouldn’t have used comic sans.

Price (last box):

• Wood: $10
  • Tools: $50 per month
  • Time (1 hour): $10

Price: $70 (mainly due to tool use.)