a day in the park

This is my midterm project! It has been quite a journey, but I learned many new skills in this experience.

The movement I chose for this project was movement number 100, which is the same one I vectorized in my 2D drawing homework assignment. My first step was to design a really rough estimate of my machine and cut it using cardboard to build a low fidelity prototype.

There were many unanticipated difficulties, such as making sure both components of the machine are fixed at the perfect distance so they work together seamlessly. I was also able to master my supergluing skills by the third low fidelity prototype.

I really love the aesthetic of acrylic, and so I tried to make the majority of my background pieces (trees, trunks, and the base) using the transparent material.

I also painted the surfaces of the acrylic pieces using a sponge and acrylic paint. It was hard to get an even coat, so I went for a textured aesthetic. After allowing the paint to fully dry, I applied a spray paint coat of clear gloss to protect the paint.

Because the dog, frisbee, and sign are the main objects in my machine, I laser cut them with wood and painted them with acrylic paint as well to give them a solid color. While the acrylic pieces only needed one coat of paint, the wood pieces needed 5 coats of paint.

The gluing process was extremely time consuming, because to bind acrylic to acrylic together, the acrylic glue I used required 24 hours to fully set. For the other pieces, I used superglue and also had to wait a couple hours for the glue to be strong enough. I tried to use masking tape to secure the pieces as their glue dried.

Additionally, I cut the middle piece that converts the rotational motion to translational motion using the water jet cutter. I also used the plasma cutter to cut the backing support for the sign.

Overall, I think the cost of the production of this machine would only be $30 in real life (considered as a novelty item?), but to me, it is worth around $170. I spent around 12 hours on this project ($10/hour), the material cost of the acrylic, plywood, and paint is approximately $20, and the wear and tear of the laser cutter, plasma cutter, and water jet cutter probably total to $30.