Kaede’s impossible object

For our next assignment, we were tasked with creating an impossible object; something that could only be reasonably created in a 3d printer. This object had to fit inside of a gum ball capsule. I liked the idea of creating something that could be worn, and thought that a ring would be a cool project as well as in line with the gum ball machine idea. I chose this file from thingiverse:

Which was perfect as it had an “impossible” component: the interlocking hearts. From here I did the OEDK training on 3d printing and was ready to print. I started on the FDM 3d printer and did a test run. I used the slicer tool to create the supports and printed it on the following settings:

I also adjusted the infill density to 40% since the ring was relatively thin.

From here I had to start the print multiple times as various printers were having issues with clogged nozzles. I ended up finding success with the 3d printer with the white material, resulting in the following print:

I was pleased with this outcome and removed the supports with angle nosed pliers:

I was happy enough with this that I printed out the next two with no adjustments. However when I returned for my prints the next day, one was missing, so I resolved to create three prints on the SLA form 2 in order to fulfill the course requirements of 5 objects total.

Working on the form 2 was a bit more intimidating for me, and I asked a lab assistant to help me with angling and creating the supports around my design:

I duplicated the print until I had three and set it to print. The completed print looked good:

So I moved forward with the suggested 10 minute IPA bath and 20 minute UV cure:

While they looked good after they were still a bit sticky, so I repeated the process with a slightly lower bath time. After this I was ready to remove the supports:

The last step was to put each print into its own gum ball machine with a slip of paper that detailed the origin of the design. This was a homework that I was really looking forward to, and I feel that I fulfilled my goal of understanding how to print out a 3d design on the two different printers at the OEDK. One thing I was particularly struck by is how cheap the prints were to create; this ended up being my cheapest homework yet:

FDM prints: .08 $ each, .16$ (calculated in the 3d printing software)

SLA prints: 3.12$ per cubic inch (OEDK website), .075 cubic inch per ring (3d printing software), ~ .70$

My time: 20$ (~2 hours at 10$/hour)

Tools and shop: 50$ (txrx makerspace lab in Houston)

Total: $70.86