Did my lasered box make the cut? I hope so!

I never realized how many products are probably laser cut in order to achieve their shape or engraving. Saying this, I can see how this is a valuable skill in being an “at home” entrepreneur with their own business. Laser cutting had many more technicalities than I prepared for, however, as it took time to determine the power, speed, and kerf.

Step 1: Establish a speed and power

Emily and I wanted to try a find a speed and power that would be good for our ~0.2 inch deep wood to find a clean cut that would not result in much burning and still cut through easily. We started with a 6% speed and 95% power with 10 frequency. It resulted in some burning around the edge of the small square. We then proceeded to increase the speed percentage to 8% and kept 95% power with 10 frequency the same and covered it with the blue tape to reduce burning. It worked very well, so we were very happy to start on smaller pieces of the sides of the box to try different kerfs (which was awkward because we kept getting it wrong).

The beginning:)

Selfie with the wood!

Our settings:)

Step 2: Finding the kerf (Finally!)

It took a long time to find the correct kerf we wanted for our box since we started with 0.013 with our makeshift sides by adding a line by pen in adobe illustrator and then using the shape builder function to put the shapes together. When it did not fit, we went down in kerf and ended up with 0.005 as our final calculation so it would be easy enough to press fit and would still be tight enough to keep in the shape of a box.

Creating the small sides:)

Conserving wood!

The masterpieces!

Step 3: Vector and Raster the bad boy;)

After deciding on all the measurements (8% speed, 95% power, 10 frequency, 0.005 kerf, 4″ box), now is the time to laser cut:) It was interesting for a first time with the engraving and cutting together because it ended up engraving my name on the box side and then cutting it in a next go around (awkward, right?). After trying again for the engraving, I managed to get everything out and ready to fit together EXCEPT that the top line of the T for my name did not engrave, making it look like the name lori:/ I ended up deciding to just engrave the other side of that piece and have the name like I want it (correctly spelled), but I ended up getting to excited to show someone my box press fitted at lunch that I accidentally put it together and could not break it apart…After that, I decided to just try and go through with engraving the side of the box as it is and it worked perfectly! Fun times, haha…

My mistake turning into a dream:)

Step 4: Model Time!

My box turned out very nice as I had put tape on it to try and reduce burning and also try to ensure that the box fits without too much space between each piece to give it a finished look.

Cross emblem:)

My name (correct!)

My home base;) Brown!

Empty space…

Step 5: Time to Contemplate:)

Looking back on the project, there were a couple of things we could have done to ensure that all the pieces came out the way we wanted. For example, it possibly could have been a good idea to vector and then raster to ensure that one would not affect the other for the first time combining both. Also, it would have been good to take off the tape first before removing the box pieces from the laser cutting bed to make sure ell the engravings are actually on the product.

Overall, I think the project went well as it was a great product for not much work.

$7.25 for labor x 3 hours = $21.75

$100 for laser cutter rental x 3 hours = $300

https://lightobject.com/large-size-machine-1-4-hour-fee-100-1st-hour/

$2.75 for wood = $2.75

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-x-4-in-x-2-ft-Poplar-Hobby-Board-749269/206000507?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&&mtc=SHOPPING-CM-CML-GGL-D21-021_005_BOARDS-NA-NA-NA-SMART-2996800-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NEW-D21New_Active-TopSell&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-CM-CML-GGL-D21-021_005_BOARDS-NA-NA-NA-SMART-2996800-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NEW-D21New_Active-TopSell-71700000093642179-58700007796629747-92700070867254320&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1bqZBhDXARIsANTjCPIiIGq5xNWXugPCWWZgLQnnBBwRb5rYkADiIp_YQ4YiBBihODTAIO0aAndAEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Total Cost: $324.50

It was fun to do, though!