My (tiny) Apron!

Hi! I had so much fun creating my apron for this class. I was able to pick a really cute fabric that was Animal Crossing themed, which made it even better. I have a little bit of prior sewing experience because I am very short and often have to alter my own pants/ clothing. So, I knew how to operate a sewing machine a little but this activity definitely made me work a little harder than just a hem.

Originally everything was going great, as I was following the measurements given in the assignment. I decided to cut “a little” fabric from the bottom because it seemed pretty long on me, but quickly realized as I held it up to myself that I probably cut a little toooo much. I guess now I know to only take off a small amount at a time.

Also, for some reason, I struggled with the straps on the apron. I got ahead of myself and attached them before actually carefully reading the steps describing that we need to box stitch them on. So, I removed my first set of straps and tried again! Then, as I was admiring (frowning at) my first two attempts of box stitching, I realized I misplaced the neck strap… it was more of an arm hole. SO, third time was the charm, and I correctly placed, stitched, and oriented my straps! I ended up leaving the remnants of the second strap malfunction because I feel like my blonde moment will make me laugh later on when I look at it.

Overall, it was really fun to take what I knew about sewing to the next level, and it definitely made me realize I need to slow down when I think I know what I am doing.

The theoretical cost analysis I created is as follows:

Animal Crossing Fabric ( 2 yd minimum): $7.99/yd * 2yd = $15.98

Thread: $4.66/ 150 yd * 35yd = $1.09

Straps: (2 yd minimum): $1.24/yd *2yd = $2.48

Operator: $14.50/hr * 3 hr = $43.50

Prototyping Engineer: $37.78/hr * 1 hr = $37.78

For a total of = $100.83

So glad we did our own labor!!