Emily’s Apron!

Hi Hi this is my apron! Designed, sewed, and modeled by me!

While I’ve had some hand sewing experience, I was excited to use an actual sewing machine for this project. Given I felt very comfortable in class with test pieces, I decided I was going to attempt an intermediate level, which included creating a template for an apron based on your own measurements, then sew this apron and add a pocket.

I first began by measuring myself and making a template for my pattern. Since I was using the translucent polka-dot fabric, I knew I needed to either double the fabric to make it more sturdy or add a back lining. I found a white, canvas-like, fabric at the oedk and decided to use this as the back lining for the apron. I additionally opted for a more curved template from chest-to-hips just to fit my frame better. This is the template I designed, including seam allowances.

I then proceeded to cut out both fabrics and decided to try using all the fabric for straps instead of the thin string provided. These were the measurements used for the neck straps and both side waist straps. 

I broke the project up in three parts. Trace and Cut, Smaller Assembly (straps and pockets), Final Assembly (Double sided, straps, pockets). 

While I thought assembling the smaller parts like the straps would be easy, I actually took a while because the machines were giving me issues. I tried the industrial machine and it worked for a few stitches, then the thread would pop. You can see where I had to then try a different machine with the two different colored threads. I also did not know the OEDK had an iron, which would have helped tremendously with folding over my seams since sometimes my pins did not hold the small folded edge which is seen here. I also struggled with keeping the stitch straight which is also noticeable in the image. 

The pockets were easy to make as I sewed right sides together, flipped inside out, then sewed onto the polka dot fabric. I did however have to fold open the top to secure the top lip to the fabric because it was giving me a double pocket. You can see where there is the seam from the normal hem, then a thinner line above where I sewed the pocket onto the fabric.

I definitely think one of my successes though was figuring out how to sandwich and flip the entire apron. It took a lot of pins and trial but I figured it out and it made the whole apron have a very clean look. I also appreciated the aesthetic of the box stitch on the sides, sewing through both polka dot and white fabric together. 

Overall, I’m very happy with the results and learned a lot from this process!

Front Polka Dot Side W/Pockets

Back Side

COST ANALYSIS:

1. Polka Dot Fabric: $2.99/yd * 1 yd   = $2.99
                  2. White Fabric: $3.99/yd *1 yd= 
                  3. Thread:          $2.69/2735 yd * 35 yd        = $0.03
                  4. Industrial Sewing Machine: $98
                  5. Pins=$3.58
                  6. Personal Labor Cost= $18 x 1 hr * 3hr= $53.99
                  7. Gas= 1.8mi x 15cents/mi * 6trips= $1.62 
                  8. Fabric Waste: $2.99/yd * 1/3 yd 

TOTAL COST: $165.19