HARSHITA’S APRON

Hi Everyone!
Welcome back to my blog. This week for BIOE 555, I gained a skill that I never thought I would be able to develop. I learned how to sew! As a child, I always used to watch my grandmother sew various stuff but the only thing I could learn was to stitch a button. So let’s dive into how I stitched my own apron.

To begin with my project, I mapped out theĀ  dimensions I wanted my apron to be on a piece of paper. I had to modify the dimensions a bit based on the double-folded sides and the length of the apron but I was soon able to cutĀ the fabric aligning to the baseline dimensions I set for my apron.

I began my sewing by cutting scrap fabric from my remaining fabric and practicing multiple times until I was able to achieve my desired form of the correct stitch.

I struggled with adjusting the bobbin initially based on the thickness of my fabric as I wasn’t able to figure out the correct tension but practicing multiple times helped me ace and understand the sewing machine setup for my apron.

After stitching the double-folded sides, I started attaching straps to my apron. I tried box stitching the ends and underestimated the length of the neck strap but I was successfully able to fix it. Ending with stitching the straps, I cut all the loose threads around the apron and I got so Happy to see my final results that I forgot to take a picture of my apron. I FaceTimed a couple of my friends to show how proud I was of my work and this new skill that I gained. I plan on purchasing a sewing machine in the future to enhance on this skill!

Cost Analysis:
1 yd Fabric cost : $16.17

Thread Cost: : $1.00
Strap Cost: : $2
Operator Cost: : $15.5/ hour* 5 = $77.5.
Machine cost overtime: : $3
Overhead Cost: $10
Scrap: $1
Total: $110.67