3D Printing Failures: Its Raining Cats and Bears!

Introduction

This week was a very interesting week. I was very excited to finally learn how to 3D print and let’s just say it didn’t go so well.

Picking design 1

The design I chose to go with was a flexible cat keychain that I found on Thingiverse.

3d Printing Design 1

Once I downloaded the STL file I went on the Prusa software and adjusted the dimensions so that the design would fit in the capsule.

I then printed it out using the FDM method and realized it was a little small so I reprinted it and it reached the desired dimensions, especially since it was so flexible.

I repeated this process until I had 4 of the cats. This is when I stumbled into trouble. The next method of 3D printing I was going to use was SLA 3D printing. I had no issue with 3D printing the same design. Once it was printed, washed, and cured, it was apparent that the interlocking joints were not going to work. I decided that it would be best to decrease the dimensions of all my cats. I did that and then when I tried to place the resin cat it still didn’t fit into the capsule despite being so small due to its nonflexible joints and large tail. This is when I decided to repick the design.

Picking design 2

The final design I chose was a flexible bear since it was still cool and it had no tail this time, making it easier for it to fit into a capsule.

3D printing design 2

Printing them using the FDM method was no issue this time as well and I made them small considering that using the SLA method produces nonflexible flexible joints.

This was the resulting resin bear:

Finally!! I was done, or so I thought. I was happily sanding my resin bear and then I proceeded to drop it on the ground accidentally. The bear shattered into 3 separate pieces. There was also not enough time for me to do it again as there was a large queue for the SLA printer. This is when I made the decision to super glue my bear together again. To make up for it, I included one of my flexible cats in the capsule as well.

Here is the finished product:

Cost analysis

All Printers were provided by the OEDK

• Matte PLA 3D Printer Filament: $25.99 per spool (Amazon.com)
  • FormLabs GreyPro Resin: $199.00 (Formlabs.com)
  • Labor: ($18.13 per hour): $54.90 (ZipRecruiter.com)
  • TOTAL: $279.89