Impossible object 3D print

In this assignment, I chose a dolphin with movable feature to print with two different printing method, SLA and FDM. For SLA printer, we used grey pro resin, and for FDM printer, we used white PLA filament.

I downloaded from thingiverse website and loaded it to PrusaSlicer to prepare the file for FDM printer. Here, I scaled the object to print at 45mm at x-axis and adjusted the infill density to 30% to make it sturdier when I sway dolphin’s body. After adjusting the printing parameter, we can slice it and export as g-code. These prints are very nice and the movable feature is smooth under this printing technique.

The other method I used is SLA with Grey pro resin polymerized by laser. It takes over 1 hour to print because I also scaled it to 46mm in length to fit the capsule. I loaded the STL file to preform software compatible to formlabs printer. The supports were generated automatically.  After printing, I inserted the build plat with prints into washer filled with IPA for 15 minutes and then let it fully polymerize in the UV chamber for an hour. After prost-processing, I removed the supports at the bottom of objects with applier. But cutting out supports resulted in some imperfection at the prints’ bottom. I have to use sand paper to polish it little to make it smooth. However, due to the resin material, the object printed with SLA can not move as FDM work.

In general, if you need functional moving parts, FDM is the way to go. if intricate details and a smooth surface finish are more important, SLA is the better choice. Both technologies have their strengths and weaknesses and understanding them is crucial in achieving successful 3D printed projects.

Cost Analysis

Cost Type Cost Price Source Quantity Total
Materials PLA $29.99/kg prusa3d.com 20 g $0.58
Grey Pro Resin $199/L formlabs.com 15 mL $2.985
Labor Printer Technician $20.31/h salary.com 4 hrs $81.24
Prototyping engineer $38/h ziprecruiter 0.5 hrs $19
Overhead FDM Printer $0.21/h Prusa forum community 2h $0.41
SLA Printer $10/h Formlabs forum 2h $20
Design Thingiverse $0 Thingiverse.com 5 $0
Misc.

Total

Waste/scrap $29.99/kg

$199/L

PLA filament and resin 0 g

3 ml

$0

$0.597

$ 124.812

The total cost in the project is $124.812 in 5 hours.