Hey MTV, Welcome To My Blog

a. Who are you and what activities are you engaged in at Rice?
Hey, my name is Serena; welcome to my ENGI 210 blog! I am a junior at Rice studying mechanical engineering, engineering design and global health technologies. I hope to one day work in the medtech industry designing medical devices. Around Rice, you might find me at a Baker Cabinet Meeting, playing IM sports, or TAing ENGI 120. I am from San Antonio, TX and am passionate about tacos and the Spurs.

b. What is one thing that you have made that you are proud of?

I am currently working on a project to make insulin syringe dosing clips that ensure a patient is getting the right dose of insulin regardless of their ability to read or see. The clip is simple, though it has been through many iterations. It is 3D printed and each costs about 8 cents to produce. Ideally, the clips will be produced in a range of doses, and could be utilized by patients in both developed and developing nations.

A full set of clips, with a range of doses.

A syringe clip being utilized with a syringe

c. What is one thing that you want to make (this semester or in the future)?
In the past, I have really only built static parts, and often low fidelity pieces. I’m looking forward to making more dynamic structures and also learning how to post process items.
d. What is one thing that you hope to learn in ENGI 210?
I’m really excited to learn how to plasma cut!