Obligatory Introduction

I am Carlos Lopez III. I am a Sophomore at Rice University studying for a major in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Engineering Design. I am in Duncan College, and in Duncan I participate in flag football, softball, and basketball. I am also a referee for flag football. Outside of sports, I am a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (AMSE).

For my ENGI 120 class, my team and developed a prototype for a device that allowed a person with diabetes to check their feet for potential ulceration that can occur without that person’s knowledge.  A TinkerCAD design that I made of our prototype is displayed below.

I am very proud of developing this prototype, but in making this device, we really didn’t use anything other than the 3D printer and hand tools. I would like to have a chance to use all of the machines the OEDK has at its disposal, but the main ones that I would like to use are the plasma and laser cutters.

A view of my team’s diabetic foot checker, as well as a toe separator.

For a broader desire of this class, I would like to use and have a full mastery of all of the machines in the OEDK.