Molding and Casting

In this assignment, I learned to mold and cast by finishing all the instructed processes in the assignment description.

In the class, we started by mixing the materials, which are two kinds of powder: one for mold and one for cast. I needed to mix them individually with water in different cups. Unfortunately, doing all this stuff is a big mess, so I didn’t get the chance to take photos.

First, I mixed the alginate with water 1:1 by weight. However, it did not work because we were using a different type of alginate that should have been combined by volume instead of weight. So I redid the mixing process and put my fingers into the liquid, waiting until it solidified. I moved my finger out and got the mold.

Then, I mixed plaster with water in 2:1 volume. Then, I poured it into the mold with a strew hanging on the cup and the strew’s head in the liquid. I put it on the 210 table to wait for it to solidify. 

The next day, I came and post-processed the part by sanding its bottom and spray painting it with clear paint, and get my final finger parts.

Cost:

Labor: 1.5hr * $10/hr = $15

Material: $0.5 + $1 = $1.5

Total: $16.5