We Are Texans!

For our final short-term ENGI 210 project, we were tasked with using the cnc mill to create two identical objects with constraints dimensions. I chose to create a pair of mug coasters with the Houston Texans logo cut on the inside. I started out by taking a piece of scrap wood and cutting it down using the table saw so that it would fit in the cnc mill. I also had to use the planer to ensure the piece of scrap wood was flat and ready for the mill.

After securing my pieces of wood, I then moved on to create the carbide create file for the coaster, then importing it to carbide motion from which I could send it to the machine and start cutting.

I ran into a major problem while removing one of my coasters from the CNC mill, where I accidentally dropped it, and it ended up breaking in two. In an effort to not let materials and labor go to waste, I tried to use wood glue and clamps to join the two pieces back together. I was surprised with how structurally rigid the repaired coaster turned out, after sanding away the excess wood glue, the application of wood glue was near invisible.

After having two coasters fresh off the cnc mill, I moved on to post processing. I started out with sanding down both coasters, working up the different grits of sandpaper available in the OEDK. I then moved onto staining and sealing the coaster using a poly stain, ensuring that it would safe to handle condensation from drinks placed on it. After applying two coats and sanding in between, the post processing was done.

In the end, I was left with two Texans coasters that were fully post processed. It was important to keep a clean workspace, especially with a cnc mill that was constantly in use by my peers.. Therefore, I made sure to vacuum the cnc mill after each use.

Finally, I have included a cost breakdown below as a reference:

Item Quantity Estimated Cost ($)
1×8 Lumber ~ 2 ft 4.00
Behr Poly Stain 1/10 Can 2.50
Sandpaper (Variety) 4 sheets 2.50
CNC Mill Usage (Free) 2 hr 0.00
Labor 8 hr @ $10/hr 80.00
Total Costs: 89.00