CNC Machining

In this homework, we were asked to use the mini-CNC to cut a pattern in a piece of wood and post-process.

First, we need to find a vector svg file from ‘Noun Project’ website. I decided to cut an Air Jordan 1. So I downloaded the svg file and delete the words inside the file using adobe illustrator. Then I imported the file into easel, which I could create a work plate as large as the wood block I would use.

After I imported I found that there were some orange lines in the picture because the original file contains too many details that the milling bit can not perform. So I changed the setting in the easel to make the file performable. I changed the cutting depth to half of the thickness of the wood block and also use the outline mode. After the modification, the orange line disappeared.

Then I exported the file in form of G-code and open the G-code in the flash-cut to cut the piece with the mini-CNC. After that, I used the red paint, white paint and black sharpie to color the shoe and sink the whole block to make it look better.