CNC Machining

For this assignment, we used Easel to create a design that we wanted to CNC using the CNC machine in the machine shop (Figure 1). Afterwards, we were supposed to post-process the block of wood in whatever way we wanted.

Figure 1: Inventables Easel Interface

Figure 2: Original CNC Rabbit and Duck Wood Block

Initially, I used the CNC machine to cut

Figure 3: Original CNC Rabbit and Duck Wood Block After Sanding

out the block shown in Figures 2 and 3. The cut actually turned out quite well. However, I tried post-processing it by taping the uncut wood and spray painting the rabbit and duck. Unfortunately both spray paints were very watery and did not cover the wood in a thin film. Rather, the liquidy spray paint pooled up in the cut wood (Figure 5).

Figure 4: Original CNC Rabbit and Duck Wood Block Taping Before Spray Painting

Figure 5: Original CNC Rabbit and Duck Wood Block After Spray Painting

The final product after I took off the tape and also stained the wood did not look as good as I’d hoped, so I decided to redo it with a slightly different engraving (Figure 6).

Figure 6: Original CNC Rabbit and Duck Wood Block After Spray Painting and Staining

Figure 7: New CNC Rabbit Wood Block Before Post-Processing

Figure 8: New CNC Rabbit Wood Block After Post-Processing

The next time, I used the design shown in Figure 1. However, I forgot to change the bit, so instead of having the flat bit, it used the round bit. I decided that it wasn’t worth redoing the whole thing, and so I post-processed the new wood block (Figure 7). I decided to use red paint this time. However, it was quite troublesome because it’s difficult to paint the inside engraving. I also stained the wood on top, but it would seep into the engravings, and the wood stain was also very gooey and sticky, so the resulting texture wasn’t that great (Figure 8). Honestly, I actually really like how the non-post-processed wood blocks look much more than when they’re processed. If I could do this process again, I would rather have kept them unprocessed. However, I did learn a lot about using spray paint and paint and stains and how things never go as you’d expect. All in all, I think the CNC machine was pretty cool to use, and I like how the wood pieces look after CNCing them.