Kaede’s ENGI 210 Blog Post

My name is Kaede and I am a Junior majoring in Civil Engineering at Baker College:
I am involved in the Institute for Global Health here at Rice. The thing that I have made that I am most proud of was a reusable phototherapy mask for jaundiced infants in low resource settings. I created it for my GLHT 360 class and the prototype was actually taken to Malawi this summer so healthcare providers could provide feedback. One thing I hope to make is a 3d printed decoration for my apartment. I always have wanted to learn to 3d print but haven’t managed to make much headway yet. In ENGI 210 I hope to learn to 3d print, but more importantly, I would like to gain the confidence to learn how to do things by myself in the OEDK. Right now, I feel like I have to be with a more experienced partner or in a class to try to make something, so I would love to be able, by the end of this course, to walk in with an idea and have the confidence to get started on a project independent of a class or partner (while being safe of course).