And Sew on and Sew Forth

Though I had always been interested in learning how to sew, this was the first time that I actually used a sewing machine. Overall, though I felt there was a small learning curve I had to overcome, the process became increasingly easier over time. To sew my workshop apron, I prepared my pattern and fabric, sewed the hems, and lastly added straps. The details of my process are outlined below:

Preparing the Pattern and Fabric

For the size of my apron, I decided to have a pattern cut to 34 by 24 inches. I also chose to cut off 6 inches on the left and right side of the chest by gaging the fit of the pattern paper on myself. Once this pattern was cut, I decided to split it into two halves lengthwise. I was initially planning to use this halved pattern paper to make an apron with two different fabrics because I was not able to find a single piece of material in the pattern I liked large enough to be a full apron on its own. Fortunately, after some additional searching, I did find a single piece of fabric with the correct pattern that I could use to make a whole apron. I simply used the tracing paper on this piece of fabric and cut it to size using the pizza cutter and fabric scissors (since the pizza cutter was a bit dull to use on its own).

Sewing the Hems

To prevent the fabric from unraveling, I folded the ends of my apron in twice along each edge and pinned it down. Then, I fed my fabric into the sewing machine to create a finished hem. During my sewing process, I generally tried to keep the fabric straight by using the guidelines on the sewing machine next to the presser foot. Unfortunately though, I would occasionally over-correct the fabric when it began turning to the right or left by shifting it too much causing the stitch to have a diagonal path.

Adding the Straps

Lastly, I added straps onto the apron! I determined the length I needed to cut the side tie straps by measuring the strap fabric around my waist and cutting that length for each strap. For the neck strap, I lifted the apron to my chest, placed it where I wanted it to hang, held one end of strap material to the apron, stretched the strap fabric behind my neck, and brought it near the front of my apron to be cut. I made sure to include about 2 inches of extra material on each strap fabric that I cut in case I wanted to make additional adjustments. For the tie straps that would go across my waist, I sewed a hem onto one side of each strap then used a box stitch to sew the straps onto my apron. The neck strap was also attached with two box stitches. With each box stitch I sewed, I managed to practice my technique and resulting in a semi-decent beginner level box stitch. Finally, to account for the fact that these stiches would be undergoing a lot more stress and tugging than the rest of the apron, I went over each box stitch two or three times by holding down the reverse stitch button to provide the straps more longevity throughout their use.

Cost Estimate

Through some approximations for the cost of goods and assumptions regarding an already established access to a sewing machine, here is my cost estimate:

Yard of fabric = $15

Strap fabric = $2

Sewing thread = $3

Labor = $15/hr (4 hours spent = $60)

TOTAL COST of APRON = $80