Click here to learn about Cassidy Chhay

Hello! My name is Cassidy Chhay, and I’m a junior at Martel studying Cognitive Sciences (Spec. in Psychology) and minoring in Engineering Design and Sociology.

This is me at a Wellbeing Resource Fair!

For Martel, I am the 2024 O-Week Coordinator, a Rice Health Advisor, on the Trivia Committee that hosts Martel Trivia Night, and a Historian head. During the day, I work as a campus tour guide with the Owl Guides and run their social media—at night, I’m working at The Hoot at the RMC as their general manager. I am also a part of the E-board for Rice PRIDE and RAMHA (Rice Alliance for Mental Health Awareness). I will also be an Orientation-Week coordinator for Martel College.

With that all said, I started the Engineering Design minor late in my Rice career, starting my first semester of junior year. I’ve always been interested in the creation process, watching engineering videos on Youtube. However, I wasn’t able to explore this interest in high school, so I’m excited for the opportunity to do so now! I’ve previously had little art projects that I would work on throughout my high school career and many sewing projects.

One thing that I am most proud of is a handmade book. I unfortunately lost the photos from it, but I made recycled paper, made a cover, and bound the signatures together. It was a really cool process and made me appreciate the craft more. One thing I hope to make in the future is a table-top board game table that can also be used as a dining table. In ENGI 210, I hope to learn how to use all the different techniques with the machines, allowing me to use them in the future to create!