Sarah Piper’s Intro

Hi everyone! My name is Sarah Piper and I’m a graduate student pursuing a Master’s of Biomedical Engineering in Global Medical Innovation (GMI) here at Rice.

Recently made a Rice soccer alumni, my last season of college soccer was last semester so I’m looking forward to spending more time with my cohort as well as learning what life looks like outside of soccer!

One thing that I’ve made that I’m proud of is a Lightbox where we designed a custom 3D printed box and a PCB that would fit inside, then soldered wires for the buttons, switches, and LEDs. I’m not extremely technical with the electrical side of “making” so this was cool to see it actually functional at the end. In the future, I’d love to make orthopedic devices such as implants and fixation devices that would allow for athletes to get back to what they love to do.

I’m looking forward to learning how to sew this semester for both personal and career-focused reasons. I’ve always wanted to know how to make clothing or gifts for friends and think it could also be useful in life later on.