Hello, Class! I’m Grant.

A troll picking on some guy

Hanging out with a troll.

Hello, ENGI 210 and BIOE 555.

I’m Grant Belton, a longtime presence around the OEDK. I got my undergraduate degree at Rice some time ago, majoring in Cognitive Science and Studio Art, with a minor in GLobal Health Technologies. My day job is with the Office of Innovation, helping turn ideas into products. I’m an associate at (and alum of) Wiess College, along with my partner AJ.

A dog wearing a mask

No cone to bump into everything!

I was quite pleased with an eye mask I made for my dog, Kunde, after he had eye surgery. It was pretty rough and made in a few hours–made from EVA foam, hot glue, gaffer’s tape, and a hacked up pair of safety glasses–but it made his recovery much more pleasant. He would have had to wear a cone for almost two months otherwise, and I wanted him to be as mobile and unencumbered as I could while still protecting his healing eyes.

For years I have wanted to build a desk that looks like it grew out of a tree in some exotic landscape. Time tends to be my limiting factor for completing side projects, unfortunately.

I’m planning to have a bunch of fun in this class, challenging myself to build things in ways and using materials that I haven’t tried before.