ROCKTOPUS

For this project, I chose to do the beginner level so that I could focus on getting the basics of 3D printing. After exploring Thingiverse, I decided to print a ROCKTOPUS with interlocking links that allows its tentacles to move.

Before I began to modify the ROCKTOPUS file, I used calipers to measure the dimensions of the gumball capsule. These dimensions were a diameter of approximately 1.85 in and a height of 2 in, which are 46.99mm and 50.8mm respectively.

The first 3D printing method I used was was FDM printing using the Bambu labs.To do this, I imported my ROCKTOPUS file from Thingiverse into Bambu Studio slicer on the OEDK Maker Bar computer. Here is where I made my first mistake.Using the scale tool, I initially adjusted the size of my t-rex to be 25mm across its longest length, half of the correct length, I was thinking that it meant the radius of the figure so I did half of the true size. I then set the layer height to 0.15mm and the infill density to 15%. Hence my inital print was failure and too small as shown here:

From there I realized the mistake I made and redid to the correct size.

The second 3D printing method that I used was SLA printing with resin. To do this, I imported my ROCKTOPUS into PreForm slicer on the OEDK computer. I then auto added supports as the program told me I needed them and then printed! Once it was done I put it in the washer and was done.